This article describes both the capacity and limitations of merging teams within Microsoft Teams. At a high level, Teams is an interface that connects many elements of Microsoft Office behind the scenes. Therefore, being able to merge a team is a function of how the underlying elements can be merged from within their own applications. You are not able to directly merge one or more teams or channels.
Merging Files within a Team
Files associated with a Team or Channel are stored within SharePoint Online (SPO). Each Team has its own SPO site, and each Channel gets its own folder in the site. Exceptions are private channels and shared channels. Private and shared channels get their get their own SPO site.
If you wish to move files, you should use the Move feature in SPO.
- Log into the site that you want to move the files from.
- Select the files you want to move.
- Right-click in the folder and select “Move to” in the Context menu.
- The next screen will have a list of sites you can move to. Click “More Places…” if you do not see the site you are interested in.
- Ensure that the destination folder or files within the folder will not have a naming conflict.
- Do not move multiple folders at once. The larger the move, the slower it will be and more likely it will fail.
Merging Chats within a Team
Chats, direct messages, and personal group chats cannot be merged. Chats in Teams conversations are stored in the mailbox of the corresponding Office 365 Group. Direct messages and personal group chats are stored in the mailboxes of the users. These folders are hidden and only accessible via eDiscovery.
Overview of Teams and SharePoint integration
How Exchange and Microsoft Teams interact
3rd Party Software Solutions
Most 3rd party software solutions focus on moving the entire tenant (i.e., Virginia Tech) and not individual teams. However, third-party software and add-ons must go through a software review process and be approved as required by University Policy 3015 3.6. Approved software can be found in Cobblestone (https://vt.cobblestone.software/public/).