Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
This article details the recommended hardware requirements for using Virginia Tech Zoom.
- Zoom System Requirements
- Three Web Camera Recommendations
- Four Headset Recommendations
- Capture Cards
- Ethernet Adapters
- Smartphone Document Camera
- Getting Help
Zoom System Requirements
Web Camera Recommendations
- Logitech BCC950
- Built in speaker and microphone with auto echo canceling, remote for adjusting camera and audio.
- MRSP: $299.99
- Logitech C920
- Built in stereo microphone.
- MSRP: $79.99
- Logitech C615
- Built in noise reducing microphone. 360° rotating camera.
- Plantronics HW261N
- MSRP: $129.99
- Logitech H570e
- MSRP: $54.99
- Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000
- MSRP: $75.95
- Corsair HS35
- MSRP: $39.99
Enable adding a Document Camera or the full function of an iPad into a Zoom Meeting hosted on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Recommended: Magewell HDMI capture (Mac or Windows)
- Mac: Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme
- PC: Startech Video Capture Device
For computers that have USB 3.0 ports (still usable by USB 2.0):
- TP-Link TL-UE300
- Anker USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0
For computers that only have a USB C port:
- Anker USB C to Ethernet Adapter
Smartphone Document Camera
- UBeesize Selfie Ring Light with Cell Phone Holder Stand
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support:
- Search Zoom documentation in the Zoom Help Center.
- Chat live (24-7) with Zoom support. Go to Zoom Video Communications Technical Support and click Chatbot.
- Call Zoom support (24-7) at 888-799-9666 ext 2.
- Check the status of Zoom services.