Canvas External Tools (LTI Tools) as well as some internal Canvas tools require cross-site cookies or tracking in order for integrations and tools to work properly. In recent years, many browsers have released new privacy and security features and updates that may prevent third-party cookies or tracking prevention to allow Canvas tools to load properly in your Canvas course sites. If you encounter an issue with loading a page in Canvas, please follow the browser setting recommendations below.
These are some examples of Canvas integrations and tools that will not work unless you are allowing cross-cookies and/or have tracking protection turned off:
- New Quizzes
- Kaltura Interactive Video Quizzes
If you are not already using Chrome for Canvas and are open to using it, Canvas recommends Chrome. Chrome will allow you full customization with your privacy and security settings, whereas Firefox and Safari have limitations on what you can set. If you do not want to use Chrome, the Canvas Guides list other supported browsers. This article will cover how to check and update your browser settings for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari if you're experiencing issues with seeing, accessing, or loading things in Canvas.
Recommended Browser Settings
- In Chrome, click on the three dots on the right of your Profile icon and click on Settings.
- Click on Privacy and security in the menu on the left.
- Under the Privacy and security section, click on Third-party cookies.
- Under default behavior, click Allow third-party cookies.
- Go to the site where you want to turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection.
- Click on the shield icon to the left of the URL bar.
- If you see Enhanced Tracking Protection is ON for this site, toggle this setting off.
- In Safari, click on Safari in the top menu and click Settings.
- In the Privacy tab, uncheck the Prevent cross-site tracking box.
If the browser privacy and security recommendations above did not work, please try the following:
- Update your browser to the latest version. Canvas works best on the latest two versions of supported browsers.
- Use an incognito browser or a browser you don't normally use to see if the issue persists.
- Clear your cache/cookies.
- Disable any ad blocker extensions on your browser.
- Check to make sure your Canvas URL begins with 'canvas.vt.edu' and not 'vt.instructure.com.'
- If you use bookmarks, check that the correct URL 'canvas.vt.edu' is saved.
- Check out known issues with specific browsers on Canvas' browser guide.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Canvas, see:
- Troubleshooting Canvas (for Instructors)
- Troubleshooting Canvas (For Students)
- Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Support on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on 4Help or call 540-231-4357.
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
In Canvas, use the new Help Docs button located near the Support button that will provide quick access to a knowledge base located inside Canvas.