Canvas is Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS). Students use Canvas to access learning materials, like assignments, quizzes, feedback, and grades.
- Official courses are automatically created in students' Canvas accounts.
- Canvas provides 24-7 support by phone (833-639-7621) and chat (click Help on any Canvas screen).
The Canvas Student Guide has full instructions on using Canvas. These instructions are specific to Virginia Tech.
Learning to Use Canvas
- Explore the Canvas Student Guide.
- Read this article. Click on each Canvas topic below to learn how to navigate and use Canvas.
Click on each topic to learn more about how to use Canvas. To see more topics, please see the Canvas Guides.
- Logging into Canvas
- Using Your Account
- Using Course Sites
- Navigating Course Materials
- Taking Quizzes
- Using the Canvas Student App
- Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas
Feature Idea Conversations
Idea conversations allow you to initiate or contribute to conversations about desired enhancements to Canvas functionality.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Canvas, see:
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Help on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on the 4Help portal or call 540-231-4357.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.