Canvas is Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS). Instructors use Canvas to manage teaching materials like assignments, quizzes, feedback, and student grades.
- Official courses are automatically created in instructors' Canvas accounts.
- Enrolled students are automatically added.
- Instructors can reuse teaching materials by importing them to a new course site.
- Canvas provides 24-7 support by phone (833-639-7621) and chat (click Help on any Canvas screen).
The Canvas Instructor Guide has full instructions on using Canvas. These instructions are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Canvas topics, please see Using Canvas at Virginia Tech (for Instructors).
- Editing Your Canvas Profile
- Setting Notification Preferences
- Using Canvas Files
- Sending Emails
- Getting Help
Editing Your Canvas Profile
You can change your profile picture, set your notification preferences, and store personal files. To access them:
- Log into Canvas.
- Click Account on the leftmost Global Navigation Menu.
- On the popup menu, choose an account area to manage.
To edit your profile, see How do I edit my profile in my user account as an instructor?
Setting Notification Preferences
Canvas Default Email Address
Canvas, by default, will send you an email at your Virginia Tech preferred email address, which is either your VT Username PID@vt.edu or an email alias. If you change your preferred email address for Virginia Tech, Canvas will update within one day.
To change your default Canvas email address, see How do I change my default email address in my user account as an instructor?
Instructors can change which events trigger Canvas notifications and how often Canvas notifies them. See How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor?
Using Canvas Files
There are two areas in Canvas to store data:
- Personal Files
- How do I view my user files as an instructor?
- 262.1 MB max storage
- Course site's Files
- How do I view course files as an instructor?
- 5.2 GB max storage
Store text-based resources and images in Canvas Files. Store multi-media resources in My Media and Media Gallery. See Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors).
Videos by TLOS: Professional Development Network
- Do not upload large media files to Canvas Files.
- Instead, use the My Media and Media Gallery tools.
- See: Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors).
- If you run out of space, see:
To upload files to Canvas, see:
Videos by TLOS: Professional Development Network
To download a single file, see How do I download a single file as an instructor?
To download files in bulk from Canvas, all the files must be in a sub-folder. You cannot download the top-level folder.
- In the Global Navigation Menu, click Account, then Files.
- Open the folder containing the sub-folder you want to download.
- Click the three dots next to the sub-folder you are downloading.
- Click Download.
- Canvas will prepare the download. Progress is shown at the top of the screen.
- When preparations are complete, the files are downloaded as a zip file.
Use Canvas Conversations to send messages. Conversations is called Inbox in the Global Navigation Menu. It is not accessible on Course Navigation Menus.
To start a conversation:
- Click Inbox in the Global Navigation Menu.
- Click the pencil near the top-right corner to compose a new message.
- Choose a Course from the drop-down.
- Choose who you want to send the message to.
- The address book will vary by the assigned roles in the course.
- Click the address book icon to the right to choose All or a type of role.
- Type a Subject and compose your message.
- Click Send.
By default, you will receive an email whenever you get a new Conversation message. To change notification preferences, see How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor?
For instructions on resolving common issues with Canvas, see:
- Troubleshooting Canvas (for Instructors)
- Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Support on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on 4Help or call 540-231-4357.
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
In Canvas, use the new Help Docs button located near the Support button that will provide quick access to a knowledge base located inside Canvas.