Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) Evaluations are run using Course Evaluations & Surveys (CES), formerly EvaluationKIT, an external tool that is on Canvas. At the end of each semester, students can submit feedback to instructors.
- SPOT results are anonymous, private, and confidential, so they won't affect student grades.
- Instructors and administrators cannot be sure who submitted what feedback.
- Instructors don't see anonymous SPOT results until after they submit final grades.
- Some professors may ask for proof of SPOT completion in exchange for extra credit.
This guide is for students. If you are an administrator or instructor, see Using SPOT - Guide for Department Administrators and Instructors.
Completing SPOT Evaluations
You will receive emails when SPOT evaluations open.
- The email has links to go to SPOT.
- You will also receive email reminders until you've completed all SPOT evaluations for all courses you are taking that semester or until SPOT closes.
- Email reminders are sent out more often for shorter Summer and Winter semesters.
You will also get pop-up messages in Canvas reminding you to complete SPOT surveys.
- The pop-up has links to go to SPOT.
- You will continue to see the pop-ups until you complete all SPOTs for all courses you are taking that semester or until SPOT closes.
There are four ways to go to SPOT surveys:
- In your SPOT notification email, click the link, log in to Canvas, and you'll go to SPOT. Select a course to evaluate.
- In the SPOT notification pop-up in Canvas, click the link. You'll go to SPOT. Select a course to evaluate.
- In Canvas, go to any course and click SPOT for Students on the course navigation menu. You'll go to the SPOT survey for that course.
- In Canvas, click Account and Settings. Click SPOT in the account navigation menu. Click a course to evaluate.
Some students get a logout error when doing SPOT surveys. If you get logged out, use Incognito mode in Chrome or use another browser and try again.
- If you're having issues loading SPOT in Canvas, see Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas.
- For assistance with SPOT surveys, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help.