Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) Evaluations are run using Course Evaluations & Surveys (CES), formerly EvaluationKIT, an external tool that is on Canvas.
This article covers adding custom questions to course evaluations in SPOT as an administrator or instructor. This is a two-part process:
- Creating a Custom Question Survey - Your Custom Question Survey will house the questions you want to add to your courses' SPOT evaluations. You can reuse these questions in future semesters. You can create different custom surveys for different courses, but you can also choose which questions in your Custom Question Survey to add to a given course's SPOT. So, if you prefer, you can keep all your custom questions in the same Custom Question Survey.
- Adding Questions to a Course Evaluation - Once you create a Custom Question Survey and add your own questions, you add questions to the current term's SPOT project and to your courses' SPOT evaluations. You can add any or all questions from your Custom Question Survey to any of your courses' SPOT evaluations.
For other topics pertaining to SPOT Evaluations, please refer to the main article, Using SPOT - Guide for Department Administrators and Instructors. For student resources, see Using SPOT - Guide for Students.
Creating a Custom Survey
- Navigate to the Course Evaluations & Survey site and log in. See Logging in and Viewing Courses in SPOT if you'd like to log in through Canvas.
- In the CES bar at the top, click Custom Questions Surveys.
- Click Create a New Custom Question Survey to load the Survey Edit page.
- Write a Title and Description for your Custom Question Survey and click Save New.
- In the Select Question Type drop-down, choose the type of question you want and click +Add to load the Question Edit page.
- Fill out the Question Text fields and Question Properties checkboxes and click Save.
- Once saved, a green banner stating The survey has been saved will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 to add questions until you are finished adding custom questions.
- Go to the next section to learn how to add these custom questions to a course evaluation.
Adding Questions to a Course Evaluation
- In the CES bar at the top of the screen, click Attach Surveys to Projects.
- Find the projects for the semester where you want to add custom questions. Next to that project name and under Add Questions, click the +. You'll go to the Custom Question Survey screen.
- On the Custom Question Survey screen, click +Add Custom Question Survey. All Custom Question Surveys will be listed.
- To the right of each survey you wish to add, click the checkmark under Select. Selected surveys will be highlighted. Click Select Courses.
- On the Select Courses for Custom Question Survey page, click Select Specific Courses.
- Click Add Courses to get a pop-up listing your courses.
- Check the boxes next to each course you want to add questions to and click Add Selected Courses.
- A pop-up will appear stating you've successfully added your custom questions. Click OK.
- If you're having issues loading SPOT in Canvas, see Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas.
- For assistance with SPOT surveys, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help.