Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) Evaluations are run using Course Evaluations & Surveys (CES), formerly EvaluationKIT, an external tool that is on Canvas. Evaluation results are sent to instructors' and administrators' SPOT area in Canvas. Historical SPOT results were moved to instructors' Personal Files area in Canvas and are stored in the course evaluation data warehouse.
SPOT data is imported from Canvas. If someone is listed as a Teacher in a Canvas site, they will be evaluated in SPOT. Canvas Teacher listings are imported from Banner, but Teachers in Canvas sites can also add other teachers. It doesn't matter if you use Canvas in your classes or not, SPOT data still comes from Canvas.
SPOTs are completely automatic. Instructors and departments do not need to do anything for SPOTs to run. However, some courses are excluded from SPOT per departmental request. For more information on course exclusion, see Fixing Missing Evaluation/Course Excluded from SPOT.
This article covers adding custom questions to course evaluations in SPOT as an administrator or instructor. This is a two-part process:
- Creating a Custom Question Survey - Your Custom Question Survey will house the questions you want to add to your courses' SPOT evaluations. You can reuse these questions in future semesters. You can create different custom surveys for different courses, but you can also choose which questions in your Custom Question Survey to add to a given course's SPOT. So, if you prefer, you can keep all your custom questions in the same Custom Question Survey.
- Adding Questions to a Course Evaluation - Once you create a Custom Question Survey and add your own questions, you add questions to the current term's SPOT project and to your courses' SPOT evaluations. You can add any or all questions from your Custom Question Survey to any of your courses' SPOT evaluations.
For other topics pertaining to SPOT Evaluations, please refer to the main article, Using SPOT - Guide for Department Administrators and Instructors.
- Adding Custom Questions to Course Evaluations in SPOT
Adding Custom Questions to Course Evaluations in SPOT
Creating a Custom Survey
- Navigate to the Course Evaluations & Survey site and log in. See Logging in and Viewing Courses in SPOT if you'd like to log in through Canvas.
- In the CES bar at the top, click Custom Questions Surveys.
- Click Create a New Custom Question Survey to load the Survey Edit page.
- Write a Title and Description for your Custom Question Survey and click Save New.
- In the Select Question Type drop-down, choose the type of question you want and click +Add to load the Question Edit page.
- Fill out the Question Text fields and Question Properties checkboxes and click Save.
- Once saved, a green banner stating The survey has been saved will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 to add questions until you are finished adding custom questions.
- Go to the next section to learn how to add these custom questions to a course evaluation.
Adding Questions to a Course Evaluation
- In the CES bar at the top of the screen, click Attach Surveys to Projects.
- Find the projects for the semester where you want to add custom questions. Next to that project name and under Add Questions, click the +. You'll go to the Custom Question Survey screen.
- On the Custom Question Survey screen, click +Add Custom Question Survey. All Custom Question Surveys will be listed.
- To the right of each survey you wish to add, click the checkmark under Select. Selected surveys will be highlighted. Click Select Courses.
- On the Select Courses for Custom Question Survey page, click Select Specific Courses.
- Click Add Courses to get a pop-up listing your courses.
- Check the boxes next to each course you want to add questions to and click Add Selected Courses.
- A pop-up will appear stating you've successfully added your custom questions. Click OK.