Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
Background on My Media and My Gallery in Canvas
My Media and Media Gallery are two tools used to integrate videos into Canvas that were designed by the software company Kaltura.
With these tools in Canvas, you can:
- Upload and store unlimited multimedia content.
- Automatically generate captions for videos your instructor has shared.
- Record and edit videos on your computer using Kaltura Capture software.
- Record video assignments and submit them to Canvas.
My Media in Canvas is your private area where you can store, manage, view, and edit multimedia recordings. The My Media link in all Canvas course menus goes to the same private video storage area.
My Media houses:
- Videos you upload.
- Videos you record on your computer using Kaltura Capture software.
- Videos you record using your webcam.
- Zoom Meeting recordings you saved to the Zoom cloud (the version in Zoom is removed after 30 days).
- Video captions.
Media Gallery in Canvas is where instructors share videos for students. Instructors can also let students share videos in a Media Gallery.
Top of page
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.
Top of page