Adding, Creating, and Using Email Aliases
This article describes how to add and use an email alias.
An alias is not a separate email account. Email sent to your alias will not be in a separate account; they will be in your normal email account. It can take anywhere from 24-48 hours for any changes to your alias to take effect.
- Go to the OneCampus Web page.
- If the page appears dark with text overlaid, click the page to dismiss the overlaid text.
- If any OneCampus announcements pop-up, after reading the text, click the appropriate button to dismiss the pop-up.
- Near the top-right corner of the page, click Sign In.
- From the drop-down that appears, click Sign In.
- Type your credentials.
- In the Username text box, type your VT Username, which is the first part of your @vt.edu email address.
- In the Password text box, type your VT Username passphrase.
- Click Login.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete authentication with your second factor.
- To the right of the OneCampus logo, in the What would you like to do? search box, type: account
- On the keyboard, press Enter or Return.
- Click Manage Accounts.
- Click View email services.
- Under your current list of emails and aliases, click Add alias.
- In the Email Alias text box, type the alias you want to add - observing the rules for aliases.
- Click Save alias.
- You will now receive email messages sent to the alias.
- To be able to send email from the alias, follow the instructions at Send email from a different address or alias.
- To make the new alias your default, preferred, and displayed email address, follow the instructions in Setting Preferred Displayed Email Address.
The Division of IT reserves the right to modify user selected names within our service areas for reasons such as (but not limited to) names that violate university acceptable use policies or names that conflict with an official entity or business practice at the university.