This article provides a method for migrating data from a Google shared drive to a Microsoft SharePoint Online document library. There is no simple, direct way to transfer files from a shared drive to a SharePoint Online document library.
Google will attempt to convert files (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) from the native Google format to a native Microsoft format (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). This conversion may generate problems within the downloaded file format or contents. It is recommended to keep a copy of the original file until the downloaded version’s integrity is confirmed. If no conversion is available (i.e., Forms and Slides), Google will not provide a download option. If you select multiple files, and there is no conversion available for a specific file, it will not be downloaded.
If you have many files to download, this method can take significant time, computer resources, and network bandwidth. If your computer powers down, goes to sleep, or hibernates during the process, data may be lost, incorrectly downloaded, or not downloaded at all. It is recommended to download files in small batches.
This process involves adding a shortcut to your OneDrive for the SharePoint Online document library, downloading the files to this location on your local computer, unzipping the files locally, and letting OneDrive sync the files to SharePoint Online.
Add a shortcut to OneDrive that points to the SharePoint Online document library.
- Navigate to the SharePoint Online document library folder where you want the contents to be placed.
- If you do not see the Add shortcut to OneDrive option in the toolbar, click on the ellipsis first.
- Click on Add shortcut to OneDrive. The shortcut will automatically be added for you in your OneDrive app on your computer. It will be named with the name of the folder from SharePoint and the name of the SharePoint Site (i.e., Documents - CCS Department).
Download the files to the location in OneDrive.
- Navigate to the shared drive.
- Click on the ellipsis next to each file you wish to download.
- Click Download.
- Select multiple files.
- Click on the Download icon. If any selected files cannot be downloaded due to no conversion available, it will be ignored. This will create a .zip file and place it in your Downloads folder.
Unzip the files locally to the folder shortcut in your OneDrive folder on your computer. Let OneDrive sync the files to the SharePoint Online location. This can take hours to days depending on how many files you have downloaded.
- Go into your Downloads folder and extract the .zip file to the shortcut you created.
- Let OneDrive sync the files.
Google Workspace Program Search Term: GWP