Canvas is Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS). Instructors use Canvas to manage teaching materials like assignments, quizzes, feedback, and student grades.
- Official courses are automatically created in instructors' Canvas accounts.
- Enrolled students are automatically added.
- Instructors can reuse teaching materials by importing them to a new course site.
- Canvas provides 24-7 support by phone (833-639-7621) and chat (click Help on any Canvas screen).
The Canvas Instructor Guide has full instructions on using Canvas. These instructions are specific to Virginia Tech.
- Learning to Use Canvas
- Canvas Topics
- Canvas Updates
- Canvas Release Notes
- Feature Idea Conversations
- Getting Help
Learning to Use Canvas
- Go to the Professional Development Network website and enroll in a Canvas workshop.
- Explore the Canvas Instructor Guide.
- Read this article. Click on each Canvas topic below to learn how to navigate and use Canvas.
Click on each topic to learn more about how to use Canvas. To see more topics, please see the Canvas Guides.
- Logging into Canvas
- Using Your Account
- Setting up Canvas Course Sites
- Creating Teaching Materials
- Teaching with Canvas
- Creating Quizzes
- Canvas for Departmental Administrators
- How to Request and Use External Tools (LTI Tools)
- Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas
- Canvas is updated by Instructure every month.
- Canvas is updated over the weekend.
- Canvas is not taken offline when updates occur.
- Instructure has published a schedule for Canvas Updates.
Canvas Release Notes
Feature Idea Conversations
Idea conversations allow you to initiate or contribute to conversations about desired enhancements to Canvas functionality.
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Support on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on 4Help or call 540-231-4357.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.
At the start of the Spring 2023 semester, you will also be able to click on Help Docs, located near the Support button on the Canvas Global Navigation Menu. This new tool will allow you to access documentation located in the Impact Support Center, a new internal knowledge base within Canvas.