Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
This article covers publishing Kaltura videos on the internet.
Adding Videos to a Website
- In My Media or Media Gallery, click a media thumbnail or title to go to the video.
- Scroll down and click the Share tab. The video's Embed code will appear and be highlighted. You can choose the player skin, size, and whether it will resize.
- Copy the Embed code and paste it into a web page.
Share Links to Videos
- Link sharing can only be done through video.vt.edu.
- Only faculty and staff have access to video.vt.edu.
To share a link:
- Go to video.vt.edu and click on Guest then Login.
- Sign in with SSO using your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password.
- Click your name, then click My Media.
- Click the media you want to publish.
- Go to Actions then click Publish.
- Check the button for Unlisted - Media page will be visible to anyone with a link to the page and click Save. The link is now sharable.
- Click Share and copy the link. Share it with your viewers.
If you see the error Complete all the required fields and save the entry before you can select to publish it to categories or channels:
- Click Edit, enter a video description, and save.
- Then click Go to Media and publish again.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
- Watch videos on using Kaltura on the Kaltura Video Hub.
- Search for topics in the Kaltura Knowledge Base.
- See the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.