Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
This article covers publishing videos in Canvas Pages and Modules.
Adding Videos to Modules
Embed the video in the Page, and link to the Page from the Module. See How do I add course content as module items? for instructions.
Videos by TLOS: Professional Development Network
Adding Videos to Pages
Embedded media can slow down page load times. If you want to embed more than a handful of videos in a page, consider Playlists instead.
To embed a video in a page:
- Edit the Canvas Page. Click where you'd like to add the Kaltura video.
- In the Rich Content Editor click the Kaltura button.
- The Embed Kaltura Media window will open. Go to My Media.
- Search for the video: enter search terms, and use filter and sort functions.
- Click Select next to the video you want to embed. Or, click the down arrow to choose the size of the embedded video.
- The video will appear in the page. Click Save or Save & Publish.
- Canvas will save the page and reload it in view mode. If you're having trouble adding a video, make sure that it has the required video description. Click Edit next to the video thumbnail or title in My Media and add a description. When you are ready to publish, click Publish.
Adding Playlists to Pages
- Create a playlist. See Using playlists to organize Media Galleries for more information.
- In Media Gallery click Settings->Edit.
- Click the Playlists tab next to details.
- Scroll to the playlist you want to embed and click Embed in the right column.
- The Embed Playlist window will open, choose the layout and copy the copy to your clipboard.
- Click Pages in the Canvas course Navigation Menu, then click the page you want to embed the video in or add a new page. See How do I create a new page in a course? for more information.
- Click the HTML Editor icon.
- Paste the embed code into the text box.
- Click Save or Save & Publish
If you get an error instead of seeing your playlist, see Playlist Embed Error to fix your embed code.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
- Watch videos on using Kaltura on the Kaltura Video Hub.
- Search for topics in the Kaltura Knowledge Base.
- See the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.