Installing SOLIDWORKS for Students
SOLIDWORKS must be purchased before a license and download is made available. To order student software, please visit How to Purchase: Student and place an online order.
For Mac computers: SOLIDWORKS does not support installation within VirtualBox. While SOLIDWORKS can be installed within Parallels, we strongly recommend using BootCamp for optimal performance and compatibility.
- Access the Network Software web site and log in using your VT Username (PID) and passphrase.
- Click SolidWorks Software and then click SOLIDWORKS 2023 SP2.1 for Windows.
- Accept the license agreement and you will be presented with the download link for SolidWorks. There will also be a tab labeled Product Key(s) as shown below, which is where the SOLIDWORKS License Key is located. Make sure to write this down, as it will be needed later in the install process. Continue to download the installer and then double click on the downloaded file to begin setup.
- Click Unzip in the new window. Leave the default destination folder. Ensure that When done unzipping open: sldim\sldim.exe is checked.
- When the extraction is complete, the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager window will appear. Click Install on this Computer and click Next to continue the installation.
- Enter the Activation Key under 3D Design and click Next.
NOTE: Do not enter the key for other features.
- Accept the SOLIDWORKS terms and click Download and Install to begin the installation.
- When the installation completes, click Finish and, if prompted, restart your computer to complete the installation.
- On the first launch of SOLIDWORKS, you will be asked to activate the software. Ensure that I want to activate my SOLIDWORKS product now is selected and click Next.
- Click Select All to select SOLIDWORKS for activation, ensure that Automatically over the internet (recommended) is selected, enter your email address and then click Next.
- Once activation is complete, click Finish.
Top of page