Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
Background on My Media and My Gallery in Canvas
- My Media and Media Gallery let you integrate videos in your Canvas course sites.
- My Media appear on Canvas Global Navigation Menu.
- Media Gallery appear on all Canvas Course Navigation Menus.
- My Media can also be accessed through video.vt.edu (for faculty/staff only).
in Canvas and My Media
is your private area where you can manage, view, and edit all your videos. The My Media
link in the Canvas Global Navigation Menu goes to the same private video storage area. My Media
will contain all of your:
- Echo360 videos that were migrated to My Media.
- If videos are in a Canvas site's EchoCenter, they'll also appear in that site's Media Gallery.
- WebEx recordings that were migrated to My Media.
- Zoom Meeting that were recorded to the cloud (saved in My Media within one day).
- Videos that you upload directly from your desktop.
Media Gallery in Canvas hosts material shared in a specific Canvas course. You can:
- Access and reuse Echo360 videos that were automatically moved to Kaltura.
- Select which videos from My Media to share in Media Gallery.
- Upload a video directly to a Media Gallery.
Why Use My Media and Media Gallery?
- Storage is unlimited: You and your students can upload as many videos to My Media and Media Gallery as you want. You and your students' videos won't contribute to Canvas' 5 GB storage limit!
- Captioning is free and easy: You can caption any video using automatic speech recognition software. Later, you can search the video captions for key terms and watch only that part of the video.
- Powerful analytics: You can see who watched which videos and how much they watched.
- Your old content is there: Your Echo videos and WebEx recordings will be migrated to My Media and Media Gallery for you.
- Your Zoom meetings are there: Zoom Meeting recordings saved to the cloud will automatically appear in My Media. The meeting host can keep the recording private or publish it to a Canvas site.
- You can use the same videos in every course: No more copying video versions between Canvas courses. Instead, link the same video stream to as many courses as you want.
- You can share videos on the Internet: Unlike Canvas videos, you can make videos in My Media and Media Gallery available on the Internet.
Top of page
- Getting Started
- Editing and Collaborating on Videos
- Publishing Videos
- Teaching with Videos
Top of page
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.
Top of page