Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
This article details the process of sharing your screen in Zoom.
- You can share media such as documents, images, web browsers, video clips, and PowerPoint presentations in Zoom Meetings using the screen sharing feature.
- You can also set your desktop and window appearance before sharing.
- Setting Your Desktop Preferences for Dual Monitors
- Sharing Your Screen
- Allowing Participants to Share Their Screen
- Setting Up PowerPoint for Sharing
- Sharing Video Clips
- Enabling Zoom Window Sharing
- Requesting Remote Control
- Giving Remote Control
Setting Your Desktop Preferences for Dual Monitors
- Open the Zoom Client.
- Move and resize the windows you want to share.
- Open and log into your Zoom desktop client.
- If you are using multiple monitors, in Zoom, click Settings (gear icon), and under General, check Use dual monitors.
Sharing Your Screen
From the Zoom Client
- During your Zoom meeting, click Share Screen on the bottom menu.
- Choose which Desktop monitor, Device screen, or application you want to share, and click Share Screen.
From the Mobile App
- During a meeting, tap the screen to display the meeting menus and scroll on the bottom until you can see the share button.
- Tap Share, then Share Screen.
Allowing Participants to Share Their Screen
Hosts can only share their screen by default. If the host wants participants to share their screen, then they will have to enable it during the meeting.
- In the meeting, click the up-arrow next to Share.
- Click Advanced Sharing Options.
- Under Who can share? click All Participants.
Setting Up PowerPoint for Sharing
You can set up PowerPoint and Zoom so you can resize and move the PowerPoint presentation.
- In PowerPoint, click Slide Show and then Set Up Slide Show.
- Choose Browsed by an individual (window), and click OK.
Sharing Video Clips
Zoom's built-in video player allows for video clips to be shared in meetings.
- Start or join a Zoom meeting.
- Click the Share Screen button.
- At the top of the pop-up window, click Advanced. Then click Video.
- Check Share sound if the video has audio.
- Check Optimize for video clip.
- Browse to the video you want to share and click Open.
Enabling Zoom Window Sharing
By default, windows that run the Zoom client aren't shared or recorded. If you want to share and record them, you need to change a setting in Zoom.
- Open and log into the Zoom client.
- In the top menu bar, click zoom.us -> Preferences.
- Under General, check Share Zoom windows in desktop sharing.
- Open and log into the Zoom client.
- Click Settings (gear icon).
- Under General, click View More Settings.
- Scroll down and enable Show Zoom windows during screen share.
Requesting Remote Control
- Make sure the person giving remote control is sharing their screen.
- At the top of your meeting, click View Options.
- In the drop-down, click Request Remote Control.
- In the pop-up, click Request.
- You can now control the participant's screen.
- To exit remote control, click View Options → Give up Remote Control.
Giving Remote Control
- While you are sharing your screen, go to the top of the meeting and click Remote Control.
- In the drop-down, click Give Mouse/Keyboard Control to : [Name of Participant].
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log n with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support: