Changing Your Name in Your Official Virginia Tech Record or VT Google Workspace for Education Mail
This article explains:
- how a user who recently changed his/her name can have their new name appear in PeopleSearch and their official Virginia Tech record and
- how a user can change their display name that other users see on email messages sent from a VT Google Workspace for Education Mail account.
Virginia Tech Record
- Go to the http://onecampus.vt.edu Web page.
- Near the top-right corner of the page, click the Sign In link.
- From the drop-down that appears, click the Sign In button.
- Type your credentials.
- In the Username text box, type your VT Username, which is the first part of your @vt.edu email address.
(If you do not know your VT Username, follow the instructions at Forgot VT Username.)
- In the Password text box, type your VT Username passphrase.
(If you forgot your passphrase, follow the instructions at Reset VT Username (PID) Passphrase.)
- Click the Login button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to either:
- If the page appears dark with text overlaid, click the page to dismiss the overlaid text.
- If any OneCampus announcements pop-up, after reading the text, click the appropriate button to dismiss the pop-up.
- To the right of the OneCampus logo, in the What would you like to do? search box, type: name change
- On the keyboard, press the Enter or Return key.
- In the Search Results, click the Name Change Information task. A new tab or window will appear.
- Read and follow the instructions that appear.
After you have had your name changed in your official record, your new name will appear in PeopleSearch. Your VT Username will not be changed with your name.
Your name will not appear in PeopleSearch if you have requested that your personal information be confidential. For more information, refer to Your Personal Information and Visibility in Virginia Tech's PeopleSearch.
Top of page
VT Google Workspace for Education Mail (Gmail)
You can change the name linked to your email address, but not the email address itself.
- Log on to VT Google Workspace for Education Mail by following the instructions at How to Access Your VT Gmail.
- Depending on which version you have:
- If you see the Compose button, go to the Standard section below.
- If you see the Compose Mail link, go to the Basic HTML section below.
- To the left of your account picture, click the Settings button, which is represented by a gear.
- From the drop-down list, select See all settings.
- Click the Accounts and Import tab link.
- In the Send mail as: section, next to your @vt.edu email address, click the edit info link.
- In the Name: text box, type the name that you want others to see.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- In the top-right corner of the window, to the right of your email address, click the Settings link.
- Click the Accounts tab link.
- In the Send mail as: section, in the Update Name: text box, type the name you want others to see.
- Click the Save button.