Canvas is Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS). Instructors use Canvas to manage teaching materials like assignments, quizzes, feedback, and student grades.
- Official courses are automatically created in instructors' Canvas accounts.
- Enrolled students are automatically added.
- Instructors can reuse teaching materials by importing them to a new course site.
- Canvas provides 24-7 support by phone (833-639-7621) and chat (click Help on any Canvas screen).
The Canvas Instructor Guide has full instructions on using Canvas. These instructions are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Canvas topics, please see How to Use Canvas at Virginia Tech (for Instructors).
If you're teaching more than one section of the same course, you can cross-list the Canvas sites.
- Cross-list before publishing! Do not cross-list sites after you publish them, because you might lose student assignments. Cross-list your sections before students submit material, ideally before publishing the sites.
- You need to be a Teacher! You can only cross-list sites if you're a Teacher. To cross-list sites with different Teachers, add one person as a Teacher to all the sites. That person can then cross-list them. See How do I add users to a course?
- Don't try to cross-list draft sites! You cannot cross-list draft course sites with automatically-created official course sites. Cross-list the official course sites, then import the content into the combined site.
- Make the home department the parent course! If you cross-list sections in different departments, the parent course in Canvas must be the home department in Banner, or SPOTs might not be accurate. If you're not sure which is the home department, contact your department's SPOT administrator.
- Don't cross-list to "move" teaching materials! Only the teaching materials in the parent course show up in the cross-listed course. Keep teaching materials in a draft course site, then import materials into the cross-listed site.
- A Canvas admin must remove the cross-list! If you make a mistake, contact 4Help by clicking Get Help on the 4Help portal. Request your Canvas sites be de-cross-listed.
To cross-list official course sites:
- Choose a section to be the parent site and note its CRN.
- Go to the site to be cross-listed under the parent and click Settings and then Sections. One section will be listed.
- Click the section's SIS ID and then click Cross-List this Section.
- Paste the parent site's CRN in the Cross-List Section popup. Then click the parent site's name.
- Under Selected Course, double check the course SIS ID. Then click Cross-List This Section.
- Repeat the procedure for other child sites.
- Verify all sections appear in the parent site by going to the parent site and click Settings and then Sections. You should see all of the cross-listed sections.
If you made a mistake when cross-listing your Canvas sections, a TLOS admin will need to assist you to de-cross-list your sites.
Go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Write that you need help from TLOS with de-cross-listing Canvas sites, and provide the CRNs of the sites that you wish to de-cross-list from the parent Canvas site. We can assist you at this time to re-cross-list your sites if needed.
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Help on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on 4Help or call 540-231-4357.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.