Accessing Virginia Tech's Gmail in a Browser as an Alumni or Retiree before July 1, 2024
This article describes how to access Gmail using a web browser. VT Gmail is only available to alumni and retirees before July 1, 2024.
Gmail and other Google Workspace applications are accessed through Virginia Tech's Login service, enabling you to access them with your Virginia Tech username and passphrase and your 2-factor authentication.
Checking your VT Gmail through Secondary Applications
- In a web browser, navigate to google.com.
- Either click GMAIL, click the Google waffle in the top-right corner of the window and click Gmail, or type mail.google.com into the search box.
- If the Email or phone text box is visible:
- Type your entire Virginia Tech email address, including @vt.edu.
- Click Next.
- In the Username text box, type your VT Username, which is the first part of your @vt.edu email address.
- In the Password text box, type your VT Username passphrase.
- Click Login.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete authentication with your second factor.
- If Choose an account is visible:
- Click the box containing the appropriate Virginia Tech email address, if it appears.
- If there is not a box containing the appropriate Virginia Tech email address:
- Click Use another account.
- In the Email or phone text box, type your entire Virginia Tech email address, including @vt.edu.
- Click Next.
- If prompted by the LOGIN SERVICE page that Auxiliary Accounts Found, click Primary.
- If you see the inbox and messages of another Google account that you own, follow Google's instructions at Sign in to multiple accounts at once under Add account using the entire Virginia Tech email address including @vt.edu.
- If you have recently signed into Gmail, your inbox will appear.
Top of page