Customer Portal Access Control
The User Role App in the NI&S Customer portal is used to manage role access for certain things, such as viewing monthly invoices, submitting service requests and updating users associated with active services. Below, you will find each individual role and its description, as well as how to assign new roles to different users.
- Account Admin – individuals designated by the account owner to administer all aspects of the account with the exception of assigning account admin privileges. These individuals were previously referred to as authorized signatories in COLA. Account admins have the ultimate authority and responsibility for their account.
- Account Manager – individuals who are able to assign and manage all roles except for Account Admin.
- Billing Manager – individuals designated by an account admin or account manager to download invoices, and manage other billing related activities associated with the account. Billing managers are also referred to as billing contacts in COLA. Billing Manager access will be managed at the Banner Org level.
Note: Designating billing managers previously required the submission of a paper form (Invoice Access Request form) signed by an authorized signatory. Account Admins and Account Managers will now have the ability to add or remove Billing Managers in the Portal. The paper based process has been retired in conjunction with the release of the new access control application.
- Service Manager – individuals designated by an account admin or account manager to order and manage the configuration of services associated with the account. Service managers are also referred to as communications liaison and responsible party in COLA.
Note: Designating communications liaisons previously required the submission of a paper form (COLA ICR Authorization Form) signed by the Department Head or Authorized Signatory. Account Admins and Account Managers will now have the ability to add or remove Service Managers in the Portal. The paper based process has been retired in conjunction with the release of the new access control application.
- IT Support – individuals designated by an account admin or account manager to manage wireless devices, guest wireless (future), and view IP address assignments and DNS records.
- Network Liaison – individuals designated by an account admin or account manager to manage network resources (e.g. IP addresses and hostnames), configuration of associated subdomains, and specification of notification preferences for allegations of misuse of the network or suspected compromises.
Note: Network Liaisons are currently organized by Admin Groups. NI&S is working to standardize the relationship between Network Liaisons and Banner Orgs across all applications and services. The transition from Admin Groups to Banner Orgs is being planned with care to minimize the risk of disrupting access to critical network services. Support for managing network liaisons in the Portal is planned for a subsequent release that will be announced later this calendar year.
- Service User – a single individual that is assigned by a service manager to a specific service with the intent that the service is designed and in some cases customized to meet their specific needs for their executive use.
Note: The service user role is included here to provide a comprehensive list and definition of roles. The assignment of users to services is delegated by Account Admins and Account Managers to Service Managers. Service Managers can use the Service Inventory application to manage Service Users.
Each role has access to specific applications. Below are instructions to view the apps and which roles have access to them.
To view what each role has access to:
- Log into the NI&S Portal
- On the dashboard screen, click on the toggle button that says “Show all applications for all roles.” This will list all of the apps and what roles can see them.
To add new role assignments:
- In the left hand menu, click on Accounts
- Click on User Roles under “Accounts”
- Click + New Role Assignment
- Enter the account and search for the user
- Note: the main page (first image) shows a list of users as well. If you see a user there that you would like to assign roles to, click the blue arrow to the right and follow the steps below.Once the user is found, check off each role that you would like to add
- Click SAVE
To Remove a User From a Role:
- Click on Accounts
- Click on User Roles Below “Accounts"
- Click on the box to populate next to the user you want to remove in a role or roles
- Click on the box that appears to delete the user
- A message will appear at the bottom of the screen confirming that the user has been removed