Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
This article details how to utilize the Immersive View Zoom Feature. Hosts can place up to 25 video participants onto a single virtual background to recreate a classroom or conference setting. They can also choose a virtual background and change the order of participants on the background. Immersive view will be available in both meetings and webinars. Recordings in immersive view will show up as being recorded in gallery view.
- Enabling Immersive View
- Starting Immersive View
- Using Custom Immersive View
- Ending Immersive View
- Getting Help
Enabling Immersive View
- Go to the Virginia Tech Zoom Portal and log in.
- Click Settings in the navigation menu.
- Click In Meeting (Advanced) in the Meetings tab.
- Scroll down to the Immersive View option and enable it.
Starting Immersive View
- In the top-right corner, click View, then Immersive.
- Click Automatically or Manually for placing participants into the scene.
- Select the scene you would like to use -- Each scene states the maximum number of predefined places for participants.
- Click Start.
Using Custom Immersive View
Custom Immersive View is only enabled in Immersive Scene mode.
- In the top-right corner, click View, and then Change Immersive View.
- Click + symbol to add a custom background.
- In the pop-up window, find and select the background you want.
- Click Open.
- Click Start.
- Click and drag participant videos down onto the scene.
- Adjust video size by clicking on the video participant. You will see a thin, blue outline you drag to resize.
Ending Immersive View
- In the top-right corner, click View.
- Click Gallery View or Speaker View.
- In the pop-up window click Stop.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support: