Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
This article discusses the process of downloading videos from My Media and Media Gallery.
By default, users cannot download Kaltura videos.
- Only video owners can enable the download feature.
- If you don't want students to download a published video, disable download when you are finished downloading your copy.
- Edit the video. In My Media or Media Gallery, click the pencil next to the video name. Or, click a media thumbnail or title to go to the video, then click Actions -> Edit.
- Click the Downloads tab, check Source, and Save.
- Now, Virginia Tech affiliates can go to Downloading Videos.
- From My Media or Media Gallery, click a video thumbnail or title to go to the video.
- Click on the Download tab below the video. If you do not see Download, download isn't enabled yet. If you own the video, you can enable download by following the instructions under Allowing Downloads.
- Click Download next to the file you'd like. Click the download button under Actions.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
- Watch videos on using Kaltura on the Kaltura Video Hub.
- Search for topics in the Kaltura Knowledge Base.
- See the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.