Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
This article covers creating and grading student video assignments.
You can have your students create videos and upload them to My Media so they don't take up space in your Canvas site. Students submit an online assignment through Canvas' Rich Content Editor and link in the video from their My Media.
Setting Video Assignments
- In your Canvas course, click Assignments on the Course Navigation Menu.
- Click + Assignment to add a new assignment.
- Write an assignment name. In the Rich Content Editor (the text box) add assignment instructions. Include instructions on how students submit video assignments, or link to Video Content Management - How Students Use My Media and Media Gallery: Submitting Assignments.
- For Submission Type, choose Online. Then check Text Entry, Media Recordings, and/or File Uploads. Students will enter their assignments in the Canvas Rich Content Editor, where there's a button to add videos from My Media.
- In order for students to submit recordings from their My Media or Kaltura Capture, then Text Entry must be enabled so students can embed their video. Kaltura videos cannot be submitted through Media Recordings.
- Set other assignment parameters like Points, Assignment Group, and Due Date. See How do I create an assignment? for general instructions on Canvas' Assignments tool.
- Click Save or Save and Publish.
Grading Video Assignments
Grade video assignments like any other Online submission type - using Canvas' SpeedGrader. See:
- How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?
- How do I use SpeedGrader?
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
- Watch videos on using Kaltura on the Kaltura Video Hub.
- Search for topics in the Kaltura Knowledge Base.
- See the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.