Creating a VT Username
Your VT Username is a unique identifier and it is different from your numeric nine-digit VT ID number that starts with "90". It belongs to you and you only. Your VT Username and passphrase grant you access to Canvas, OneCampus, Office365, Google Suite, and more.
Important: Remember that you may use your VTUsername@vt.edu email address for job offers or other official communications, so selecting inappropriate or silly words or phrases for your VT Username may not be desirable.
VT Username Character Requirements
- Length: between 3 - 16 characters
- Must start with a letter (not a number)
- Must contain only letters and numbers (no spaces or special characters)
How to Create a VT Username as a New Student, Faculty, Staff, or Alum
- Read and understand VT Username: Eligibility Requirements.
- Know your nine-digit Virginia Tech ID number. This information is normally required to create your VT Username. For help finding your ID number, see this knowledgebase article.
- Think of a username, between three and 16 characters, starting with a letter.
- Think of a passphrase. For more information on passphrase requirements, see Virginia Tech Password Rules, Requirements and Tips.
- Be prepared to enroll in 2-factor authentication. You’ll need a second factor device such as a landline, mobile/smart phone, or tablet.
- Go to the OneCampus Web page.
- If the page appears dark with text overlaid, click the page to dismiss the overlaid text.
- If any OneCampus announcements pop-up, after reading the text, click the appropriate button to dismiss the pop-up.
- To the right of the OneCampus logo, in the What would you like to do? search box, type: create.
- On the keyboard, press Enter or Return.
- Click Create VT Username. A new window or tab will open.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Set up passphrase recovery options in My Accounts which will require that you login with your VT Username to enroll in 2-factor authentication.
If you have trouble with any of the steps in this process or need additional assistance, contact 4Help by clicking Guest Help at the top of the 4Help portal or call 540-231-4357.
Search words: PID, gen, generate, pidgen, onboard, on board, on-board, make, obtain, get, username, student ID, faculty staff ID