Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
About Zoom Events
Zoom Events provide more features than Zoom Webinar and Zoom Sessions, which are designed for single large-scale broadcasts and single-session events respectively. Events can be comprised of multiple simultaneous sessions with the ability to span multiple days. Zoom Events sessions are organized through an all-in-one virtual event platform that organizers create for attendees to access. Each virtual room can host over 100 interactive video panelists, with up to 49 appearing on the screen at a time.
Zoom Events can be used for virtual or hybrid conferences, since the Zoom Events lobby and meetings can be combined with a physical event to allow remote attendees to have the full experience. Virtual attendees can interface with vendors and network with fellow remote attendees while in-person attendees get to have the normal conference experience.
Zoom Events Features
Zoom Events is designed to provide a full virtual event experience, and includes a wide array of features to help organizers manage their event and keep attendees engaged. These include:
- A virtual Expo Floor, where attendees can chat and sponsors can host content in online “booths”
- Online event registration and ticketing options
- Customizable privacy settings for events and hubs
- A video-on-demand library that hosts recordings and video transcripts after the event
- Virtual networking sessions to help attendees and participants connect
- An online hub to organize events and recordings
- Customizable designs for event branding, including wallpaper, name tags, and backgrounds
- Special sponsorship tiers, tickets, chat privileges, and more for event sponsors
- “Backstage” virtual gatherings for speakers between sessions
- Interactive features, including polls, quizzes, and live emoji reactions for event attendees
- Reports on ticketing and attendee engagement
- Live transcription and translation services
Requesting Zoom Events
To request Zoom Events for your account, go to Zoom - Feature Request. When filling out the form, check the box for Events - Consultation required for first time users. A Zoom admin will contact you to set up a consultation.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support:
- Search Zoom documentation in the Zoom Help Center.
- Chat live (24-7) with Zoom support. Go to Zoom Video Communications Technical Support and click Chatbot.
- Call Zoom support (24-7) at 888-799-9666 ext 2.
- Check the status of Zoom services.