Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) Evaluations are run using Course Evaluations & Surveys (CES), formerly EvaluationKIT, an external tool that is on Canvas. Evaluation results are sent to instructors' and administrators' SPOT area in Canvas. Historical SPOT results were moved to instructors' Personal Files area in Canvas and are stored in the course evaluation data warehouse.
SPOT data is imported from Canvas. If someone is listed as a Teacher in a Canvas site, they will be evaluated in SPOT. Canvas Teacher listings are imported from Banner, but Teachers in Canvas sites can also add other teachers. It doesn't matter if you use Canvas in your classes or not, SPOT data still comes from Canvas.
SPOTs are completely automatic. Instructors and departments do not need to do anything for SPOTs to run. However, some courses are excluded from SPOT per departmental request. For more information on course exclusion, see Fixing Missing Evaluation/Course Excluded from SPOT.
This article covers logging in and viewing your courses on SPOT as an administrator or instructor. For other topics pertaining to SPOT Evaluations, please refer to the main article, Using SPOT - Guide for Department Administrators and Instructors.
Logging in and Viewing Courses in SPOT
- In Google Chrome, go to Canvas and log in with your VT Username (PID) and VT Username (PID) password.
- Click Account from the top of the Canvas global navigation menu. From the popup menu, click Settings to go to the Account Settings page.
- Click SPOT at the bottom of the account page menu. If you don't see SPOT, see troubleshooting steps under Script blocker problems or go directly to the Course Evaluations & Survey site.
- In the top menu, locate the role to the left of your name to verify you are viewing SPOT in the correct role. If you have more than one role, click on the role to change it to either Instructor or Administrator.
- Click Manage Courses from the CES top menu to go to the Project Courses page.
- Under Projects, an item for each semester will appear. Click the magnifying glass under View to see your SPOT courses for that semester.
- The Project Courses page will display the list of the courses where you're listed as an instructor in SPOT or list the courses you are administrating for your department.