Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
This article details how to use Virginia Tech Zoom in Microsoft Outlook and the Outlook Web App.
- Zoom has a plugin for Microsoft Outlook in Windows that lets you schedule Zoom meetings from your Outlook calendar.
- Zoom has an add-on for the Microsoft Outlook Web App that lets you schedule Zoom meetings from the Microsoft Outlook Web App.
- Using Zoom in Microsoft Outlook
- Using Zoom in the Outlook Web App
- Getting Help
Using Zoom in Microsoft Outlook
Installing the Zoom Plugin
- Go to the Zoom Download Center.
- Download and install Zoom Plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
- The Zoom Plugin for Microsoft 365 is only available for PC.
- For Mac, use the Outlook Web App instead.
- Restart Outlook.
Scheduling a Meeting
- Open Outlook on your computer.
- Near the upper-left, click Schedule a Meeting. A new window will appear.
- Change the options as needed, and choose a Purpose from the drop-down list.
- Click Save. You'll see an automatically generated email about the Zoom meeting. You can edit the email.
- Check that the Start Time and End Time of the meeting are correct.
- You can make the meeting recurring here.
- To set No Fixed Time meetings, see Scheduling No Fixed Time Meetings in Zoom.
- Add participants you wish to invite in the Required email field.
- Click Send.
Rescheduling a recurring WebEx meeting in Zoom
- Uninstall WebEx Productivity Tools from your computer.
- Go to Outlook and open your calendar.
- Double-click the meeting you want to change to Zoom.
- Click Edit Series.
- Click Cancel WebEx Meeting icon. The WebEx call-in information will disappear from the meeting invitation (if it doesn't, close the meeting, re-open it, and try again).
- Click Send Update. The meeting will close.
- Go back to the meeting and click Add Zoom Meeting.
- A pop-up should appear where you can choose Zoom meeting preferences.
- Set your preferences and click Continue.
- Click Send Update. Your recurring meeting should now be updated with Zoom meeting connection information.
- Close Outlook.
- Uninstall WebEx Productivity Tools.
Using Zoom in the Outlook Web App
- For instructions on installing the Zoom add-in and scheduling and managing meetings, see: Microsoft 365 (Outlook Web) Add-In.
- When you schedule your first meeting, click Zoom then Settings to log in to Virginia Tech Zoom. After that you can click Zoom and Add a Zoom Meeting.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support:
- Search Zoom documentation in the Zoom Help Center.
- Chat live (24-7) with Zoom support. Go to Zoom Video Communications Technical Support and click Chatbot.
- Call Zoom support (24-7) at 888-799-9666 ext 2.
- Check the status of Zoom services.