Zoom is a versatile video conferencing tool that unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. You can host and join Zoom video conferences from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
The Zoom Help Center has full instructions on using Zoom. The instructions below are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Zoom topics, please see Video Conferencing - Holding Zoom Conferences on a PC or Mobile Device.
Instant meetings happen in your Zoom Personal Room. You can invite others there using your Personal Link.
- Before you start your meeting, test your device by hosting a Zoom test meeting.
- Instant meetings do not have polls. To take polls, schedule a meeting.
- Instant meetings are named by default as [your name]'s Zoom Meeting. All instant meeting recordings will have the same file name. To give recordings meaningful names, schedule a meeting.
- Starting from the Web Portal
- Starting from the Zoom Client
- Starting from the Mobile App
Starting from the Web Portal
- Go to the Virginia Tech Zoom Web Portal.
- Click Sign In and log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and PID password, then hover over Host a Meeting at the top right of the screen.
- Select With Video Off or With Video On. If you haven't installed the Zoom client, you'll be prompted to do so at this time.
Starting from the Zoom Client
- Open and log into the Zoom client on your desktop.
- Click the down arrow next to New Meeting.
- Check the Start with video box if you want to start with video.
- When you're ready to begin your meeting, click the orange icon.
Starting from the Mobile App
- Open the Zoom mobile app. See Logging into the Zoom mobile app if you need instructions to log in.
- On the home screen, tap New Meeting.
- Choose whether to turn on video and whether to use a Personal Meeting ID. Tap Start a Meeting.
- Allow Zoom to access your device's camera and microphone. Your meeting will start.
- Next, choose an audio option to listen to the meeting.
- Tap the screen to toggle Zoom icons that you can use during the meeting.
Safe Driving Mode
Safe Driving Mode in the mobile app uses audio only and has a touch-to-speak button to reduce road noise.
- During a Zoom meeting on your mobile device, swipe right. Safe Driving Mode will be enabled, your video will stop, and your mic will be muted.
- To speak, tap the Tap to Speak button.
- When you're done, tap the Done Speaking button.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Zoom, see: Video Conferencing - Troubleshooting Zoom.
- Go to 4Help, log in with your Virginia Tech Username (PID) and password, and click Get Help.
- Call 540-231-4357.
For problems using Zoom, contact Zoom Support:
- Search Zoom documentation in the Zoom Help Center.
- Chat live (24-7) with Zoom support. Go to Zoom Video Communications Technical Support and click Chatbot.
- Call Zoom support (24-7) at 888-799-9666 ext 2.
- Check the status of Zoom services.