Canvas is Virginia Tech's learning management system (LMS). Instructors use Canvas to manage teaching materials like assignments, quizzes, feedback, and student grades.
- Official courses are automatically created in instructors' Canvas accounts.
- Enrolled students are automatically added.
- Instructors can reuse teaching materials by importing them to a new course site.
- Canvas provides 24-7 support by phone (833-639-7621) and chat (click Help on any Canvas screen).
The Canvas Student Guide and the Canvas Instructor Guide have full instructions on using Canvas. These instructions are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Canvas topics, please see Using Canvas at Virginia Tech (for Instructors) or Using Canvas at Virginia Tech (for Students).
Logging into Canvas
- Go to Canvas.
- Log in with your PID and PID password.
If you run into issues while trying to log in:
- Disable script blockers (or whitelist Canvas URLs) because they interfere with some Canvas functions. See Script Blocker Problems under Troubleshooting Canvas (for Instructors).
- New students and faculty/staff: it can take up to 72 hours for your Canvas account to be created. Please be patient.
- If you still can't log in, see I can't log into Canvas in Troubleshooting Canvas (for Instructors).
After logging into Canvas for the first time:
- Click Submit.
- Log into Canvas with your Virginia Tech PID and PID password.
- Click the Acceptable Use Policy or Privacy Agreement links at the bottom of the Canvas window.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Canvas, see:
- Troubleshooting Canvas (for Instructors)
- Troubleshooting Canvas (For Students)
- Recommended Browser Privacy and Security Settings for Canvas
Instructure, the creators of Canvas, provide 24-7 Canvas support, including live chat and a support hotline.
To get Canvas help, click Support on any Canvas screen and choose from help options:
- Search the Canvas Guides: Search Canvas documentation.
- Chat with Canvas Support: Open a chat window in Canvas (or call the phone number).
- Contact Virginia Tech 4Help: Submit an incident on 4Help or call 540-231-4357.
- Browse Virginia Tech Resources: See other Canvas Knowledge Base articles.
- Report a Problem: Submit a Canvas support case by filling out a short form.
- Ask the Community: Go to Canvas user community resources.
- Submit a Feature Idea: Search a list of current feature idea conversations. Add to an existing conversation or start your own!
In Canvas, use the new Help Docs button located near the Support button that will provide quick access to a knowledge base located inside Canvas.