Kaltura is the cloud-based video management system behind My Media and Media Gallery, which are Canvas LTI tools. Note that:
- Kaltura appears in some places in My Media and Media Gallery and in the company's documentation and user guides.
- Course Gallery is how you access Media Gallery in Canvas.
The Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide has full instructions on using My Media and Media Gallery. The instructions here are specific to Virginia Tech. To see other Kaltura topics, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Using My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
This article discusses how to navigate the playback functions of Kaltura.
- Playing Regular Videos
- Playing Lecture Capture Videos
- Changing Playback Rate
- Searching Video Captions
- Getting Help
Playing Regular Videos
Regular videos only have one video stream.
- In My Media or Media Gallery, browse for the media entry and click the video thumbnail or title. You'll go to Kaltura's media player.
- Click the play button. At the bottom of the player, from left to right, are buttons for play/pause, seek backwards, seek forward, volume control, captions, settings, and fullscreen.
Playing Lecture Capture Videos
Lecture capture videos and recordings from Connected Classrooms have multiple video streams. They can include a video of the instructor, a video of the instructor's teaching content (like PowerPoint slides), and/or a video of the classroom. You can customize playback to highlight whatever video stream you want.
- In My Media or Media Gallery, browse to the media entry and click the video thumbnail or title. You'll go to Kaltura's media player.
- At the bottom of the player, from left to right, are buttons for play/pause, seek backwards, seek forward, volume control, captions, settings, and fullscreen.
- The default layout for multiple video streams is side-by-side.
- Click the Play button in the center of the screen or in the bottom left of the media player.
The default view for videos with multiple video streams is Side by Side.
- To change the layout to Single View, click on the expansion icon on the feed that you'd like to make bigger. The second feed will shrink into the corner of the player.
- To expand the smaller feed, click on the double arrow icon to switch their places.
- To hide the smaller feed, click Hide to further minimize the feed. Alternatively, click Show to undo it.
- For the Picture in Picture layout, hover over one video feed and click on the Picture in Picture icon to release it from the confines of the media player.
- You can now drag and drop the window and move it around your screen.
- If you want to go back to Side by Side view, click on the single arrow icon on the smaller feed to re-expand it.
Changing Playback Rate
- In My Media or Media Gallery, browse for the media entry and click the video thumbnail or title.
- Click Play in the media player.
- At the bottom right of the media player, under Speed, click Normal and choose from .5 to 2.5. The video will immediately switch to that playback rate.
Searching Video Captions
If a video has captions, you can search them for key terms and find where in the video the terms appear.
- From My Media or Media Gallery, click a video thumbnail or title to go to the video.
- Click on the Transcript button (only displayed if the video has captions) located in the upper right hand corner of the video player.
- Enter a term in the search box. Navigate between results using the up/down arrows.
- In the results, click on line you want. The video will jump to the section where the caption text appears.
- To clear the search text, click the X icon.
For instructions on resolving common issues with Kaltura, please click on the guide for your role:
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Instructors)
- Video Content Management - Troubleshooting My Media and Media Gallery (for Students)
If you need help with My Media, Media Gallery, or Kaltura in general:
- Watch videos on using Kaltura on the Kaltura Video Hub.
- Search for topics in the Kaltura Knowledge Base.
- See the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.
If you still have questions:
- For Kaltura in Canvas or at video.vt.edu, go to the 4Help Portal, log in, and click Get Help. Specify where you are having the issue and include the video name, ID, and/or URL if applicable.
- For questions about intellectual property, contact your department chair or the University Council.