Active Learning Platform - How to Use Top Hat (for Instructors)
- Top Hat is an active learning platform you can use to engage students both in and out of the classroom with interactive slides, graded questions, customized content, videos, discussions and polls.
- Students can use their phones or computers to participate.
- Top Hat is integrated with Canvas for syncing the student roster and gradebook.
Top Hat is one of two real-time student response systems at Virginia Tech. The other is iClicker. For student instructions, see: How to Use Top Hat (for Students).
Comparison of Student Response System (iClicker) / Active Learning Platform (Top Hat)
|Instructors present slides in the app
|Instructors can quiz students
|Students must purchase remotes
|Students can use mobile devices
|Data stored in the cloud
|Roster auto-syncs with Canvas
|Instructors can take attendance based on student device location/GPS
Top of page
Setting up Top Hat
For detailed instructions see Top Hat's Professor: Quick Start guide.
- Go to Top Hat's website.
- Click Sign Up.
- Click on Educator.
- Type in your Virginia Tech email address and click Next Step.
- Click Share to consent to information release.
- Under I'd like to create a new account, click Sign-up as a Professor.
- Fill in your name and phone number and choose Send verification code or Skip phone verification.
- You'll go to the Welcome to Your Course Lobby page to create your first course.
Create Your First Course
- You will be directed to your course lobby after creating your TopHat account. Click Create Course.
- Fill out the course information EXACTLY as it appears in Canvas and click Create. Top Hat will go to the new course's page.
Create Additional Courses
- Click Courses in the top left of the screen and then Create Course.
- Fill out the course information EXACTLY as it appears in Canvas.
- Click Create.
Top of page
Integrating Top Hat and Canvas
For detailed instructions, see LTI 1.3 (Canvas): Connect a Canvas Course to Top Hat.
- In Canvas, navigate to Courses and click on your course. Make sure you have published your course.
- Click on the Top Hat link in the course navigation menu.
- If pop-ups are not blocked, Top Hat will open in a new tab automatically. Otherwise, click Open in a new window.
- From the drop-down, click on the Top Hat course. Click Continue.
- When prompted, authorize Top Hat to access Canvas. You should see a success message in Top Hat.
Sync Student Rosters
After you integrate Top Hat with Canvas, your course roster will sync with Top Hat. The initial sync will occur that night at 1:00 AM.
Within that initial first sync, in order for students from Canvas to port to the Top Hat course roster, they:
- Must have accepted the invite to the LMS course. This means they should not have a 'Pending' tag next to their name in Canvas.
- Must have clicked on any LTI link (Top Hat tool link or deep link). Create assignments in Top Hat and add them to Canvas assignments for students to access and be able to sync to the Top Hat course roster.
Students should not enroll manually to the course (via the Join Code or direct URL), otherwise risk being removed from the Top Hat course.
- Students listed on the Student Manager tab within your Top Hat course does not mean the student has clicked on any LTI links.
- Students can be sent course invitations to Top Hat from the Student tab on your Top Hat course (see: Manage Students). Please note that Roster Sync removes the option to add students directly from within the Top Hat student tab.
- Students will not lose any grades if they are removed from the Top Hat course, but will need to be enrolled for their grades to remain in the Gradebook.
Creating Top Hat Deep Links in Canvas Assignments
- Deep Linking is a feature that enables instructors to display links to Top Hat content inside the LMS course.
- This feature enables students to find all of the material they are accountable for, graded or non-graded, in one place.
- In addition, Top Hat content that is deep linked will have its grade automatically synced back to the LMS when it is released.
- Grades are synced to the LMS automatically for all content types once the grade(s) are released to students in Top Hat.
- You can release grades to students on Top Hat by due dates or manually assign content from Homework to Review.
- You can deep link to any content type in Top Hat.
- The student will be able to reach that content so long as it has been assigned to them on Top Hat.
- If the content has not been assigned the student will reach an error page.
- Go to Top Hat's website and log in.
- Click on your course.
- Click Create to add folders/content. See the Quick Start Guide: Create content.
- Go to the course on Canvas.
- Create an assignment with Submission Type External Tool.
- Click Find to open a list of available tools.
- Click on Top Hat and click Open in a new window.
- Top Hat will open. Click on the folder or content that you've created in Top Hat that you want to link and click Continue.
- Click Confirm. If you have trouble confirming, you may need to go back to your content and ensure that they have a due date.
- You will be redirected back to Canvas. Click Select to close out of the Configure External Tool window.
- Fill in the rest of the assignment details and click Save and/or Save/Publish.
- When students access the Canvas assignment, they can open the deep link by clicking Load in a new window to launch the assignment.
- Navigate to your course Student Manager by clicking the Students tab in your course header.
- On the Course Access column you will be able to manage your students on Top Hat and understand whether or not they have successfully been synched from your LMS.
- When a student clicks any LTI link (Top Hat tool link or deep link), only that student is added to the Top Hat roster.
- Other students, will be added to the Top Hat roster upon the next nightly roster sync and will be displayed as follows:
- Students with no Top Hat account will listed as Pending.
- Students with a Top Hat account will be marked as No Access.
- Your students can receive the following email if you send an enrollment reminder via the Student tab in your Top Hat course.
- Once they click the link and follow instructions, their Top Hat Course Access status will change to Full Access.
Top of page
Managing Top Hat Courses
Edit Course Settings
For detailed instructions, see Professor: Editing your Course Settings.
- In the Top Hat website, click on your course.
- Click on your name in the top right then click on the Course Settings icon to the right of the Join code.
- In the navigation under your course name, you can access General Settings, People & Roles, Grading, Timers, Attendance, LTI 1.3 LMS Sync, and Advanced.
- General Settings: Rename your course and give a description. Add a password, change course availability, or delete the course.
- People & Roles: Add other instructors and designers. Not for adding students.
- Grading: Manage which grades your students see. Enable and disable the gradebook. Hide questions and answers. Change grade display.
- Timers: Add a timer to questions.
- Attendance: Enable Secure Attendance to only allow students in the classroom to mark themselves as present. It detects how close the student device is to your device.
- LTI 1.3 LMS Sync. Check the Canvas course synced to your Top Hat course to sync grades and update any roster changes. Disconnect the course if the incorrect Canvas course is synced. See Integrate with Canvas for instructions.
- Advanced: Manage how students interact with the content in your course.
- Click Save Changes after any edits.
Create Course Content
Top of page
Both Top Hat and Canvas support Top Hat.
- Top Hat support email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top Hat support call-in: 888-663-5491
- Canvas support: click Help on any Canvas screen
To schedule a personalized demonstration or learn more about implementing Top Hat in your course, please contact Top Hat directly. Top Hat’s dedicated Education Technology Specialist, Kevin, will get in touch with you.
Top of page